"Welcome to my blog space. I believe that God has carefully placed gems in our paths to fill our days with joy. The challenge for us is to take the time to notice them. My desire is to share the gems in my life so that, hopefully, you will see the ones He's placed in yours. I hope what you read here will be worth your time and you'll want to return often." - Cathy

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Life Lessons from Taco Bell-Part One


                I confess. I was eavesdropping. It was almost impossible not to in the crowded restaurant. Three separate parties, seated at three tables which shared a bench seat on one side. Six chairs filled the space on the other side of the tables. I was seated in the middle section. The tables, spaced so close together I had to turn sideways to inch my way into the bench seat, gave me a perfect setting for listening in.

               To my left, was an older man, his twenty-something year old daughter, and his two and a half year old granddaughter. The little girl was as cute as she could be with her sparkling blue eyes, curly red hair and sweet disposition. She showed concern for her Pawpaw’s well being; using caring phrases as she mimicked what had been spoken to her as she grew.

After ordering lunch at the counter, she and her mother made their way to a table while Pawpaw stayed behind to pick up their tray of food. Little Blue Eyes noticed he wasn’t coming and called out, “its okay, Pawpaw. Come, this way. Follow me.” As they ate, she gave attention to Pawpaw’s needs. “Here’s your nakkin’ Pawpaw,” or “Pawpaw, you need a fork?”

She was happy being a little Mommy to him, and he was thrilled to let her. Her Mom left the table to get a to-go order. Little Blue Eyes decided to go with her but before she left the table, she said, “its okay, Pawpaw, stay right here. I’ll be right back.” I had to smile.

While the Mommy and Little Blue Eyes were away from the table, I had an opportunity to talk to the grandfather - grandparent to grandparent. With pride, he told me the little red-headed cutie pie was his first and only grandchild. I could tell the little girl was the apple of his eye. And so was her Mommy.

This little girl is blessed to be in this family where love has been passed from generation to generation. Someone along the way taught this man, probably by example, to be a loving parent. His daughter, knowing the love of her father has demonstrated that same love to her daughter. And now, even at two and a half years of age, the little girl is already showing her love for others in her concern for their welfare.


This kind of love for each other is what Father God wants for all of us. He loves us with an everlasting, perfect love. We experience His love and share it with others He places along our path. They feel His love through us and the cycle begins again.

Have you experienced Father God’s kind of love? If you have, will you intentionally share it with someone today? If you haven’t, e-mail me at hiskid410@gmail.com. I would love to talk to you about it. You can be filled to overflowing and be part of sharing it with another generation.

Going out with joy today, because of God’s great love

Cathy
P.S.  Tune in next week for Part 2. Oddly, there was another grandfather/grandchild duo sitting to my right.

14 comments:

  1. Good job! Thank you for the picture of this sweet scene you witness. I can't wait to be a grandparent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MJ. I had to break it into 2 parts in order to do it justice. Blessings on your writing, as well.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your story. I am not a grandparent but I have several friends who are I am not a grandparent, but most of our friends are.
    You are a very good people watcher. I need to get out and refine my skill. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments. There is nothing like being a Grandparent. I hope you get to experience this wonder someday, either through bloodline or some needy child in your sphere of influence. I love watching people. Most of the time it will renew your faith in people.

      Delete
  3. I loved this story! It reminded me of the day I was waiting for Nan to head off to Boot Camp. Our love reminds me of a mom/daughter type of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love people watching (and listening!). As one TV show used to say, "There are a million stories in the big city." Blessings to you, Jamie!

      Delete
  4. Once again you have brought a meaningful message to us from an everyday ordinary event. You truly have a gift, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! You are so kind, and a great encouragement to me. Blessings to you and your work.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for inviting me to check out your blog. I enjoyed it very much. I have little great grand daughter that reminds me of this little girl. There are examples of God's love all around us, we just need to notice them. God bless you.

    Glenda Parker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda, for stopping by and leaving lovely comments. I hope you'll come back often. Blessings!

      Delete
  6. It's amazing what God shows us if we just open our eyes (and ears!) even in a Taco Bell. It's a lesson for all of us. How we speak to our children may very well be the way they speak to us when we are much older. Teach them well.
    Good post, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! I've seen this lesson lived out many times. You can tell what children have heard based on what they say to others. I heard myself many times as my children were playing with their baby dolls and not always in a good way. Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Cathy, this brings to mind the song that says, "I wanna be just like You because he wants to be like me." Our Father has set an example.. I pray we all follow it. I bet it would resemble this little girls love for her Paw Paw.
    I enjoyed your/His love story. Looking forward to going back to read part two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. It was a sweet scene, possibly a little taste of what heaven will be like. Blessings to you and yours.

      Delete