"Welcome to my blog space. I believe that God has carefully placed gems in our paths to fill our days with joy. The challenge for us is to take the time to notice them. My desire is to share the gems in my life so that, hopefully, you will see the ones He's placed in yours. I hope what you read here will be worth your time and you'll want to return often." - Cathy

Friday, November 1, 2013

Ideas, Brains and Trains


Today, November 1, 2013, I begin a new adventure. This month, for the first time, I will be participating in PiBoIdMo, Picture Book Idea Month. Since I am an aspiring picture book author with a passion for Christian world view literature for children, it seems only natural I would be drawn to this exercise.

 From Tara Lazar, the founder of PiBoIdMo, and the official website, here’s what it’s all about:

“Tired of novelists having all the fun in November with NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writers Month), I created PiBoIdMo as a 30-day challenge for picture book writers.

The challenge is to create 30 picture book ideas in 30 days. You don’t have to write a manuscript (but you can if the mood strikes). You don’t need potential best-seller ideas.

You might think of a clever title. Or a name for a character. Or just a silly thing like “purple polka-dot pony.” The object is to heighten your picture-book-idea-generating senses. Ideas may build upon other ideas and your list of potential stories will grow stronger as the days pass.

Daily blog posts by picture book authors, illustrators, editors and other kidlit professionals will help inspire you. By the end of the month, you’ll have a fat file of ideas to spark new stories.

PiBoIdMo was first held in 2008 by a party of one—me! Then I hosted it on my blog for the first time in 2009. Each year the number of participants has doubled. In 2012 we had over 750 writers following PiBoIdMo.”

            On today’s daily blog, Tammi Sauer shares one of her secrets to success: Start with the Title. She reasons the title is the first chance you have to grab the editor's and reader’s interest. I can’t wait to read all the author hints that will post this month.

            I love my brain and I can’t wait to see what it will conjure
up and dump out on my list. Just in case the train leaves the station with a carload of ideas and doesn’t make it back before the end of the month, I may need your help. If you’ve ever said, “I wish I could find a good children’s book about . . .,” leave a comment. If you’re brushing your teeth one morning, and a brilliant thought passes through your mind and you say, “That would be a great title for a book,” leave a comment (unless, of course, you are going to pursue it yourself!)

            Gotta run! I’ve got a train to catch, a list to get started and some brainstorming to do.

Going out with joy today-

Cathy

P.S. It's not too late to be a part of this movement. Registration is open for a few more days by clicking the website ink above.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy!
    This is my second year participating in PiBoIdMo. Fun-filled days of jotting down crazy ideas lie in wait for us. Glad we're on the journey together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sally! You are the one who led me to try this when I saw your "PiBoIdMo Winner" last year on your blog. I'm so looking forward to this experience.

      Delete
    2. Mary Jane, PiBoIdMo is an exercise in the month of November every year where you join a group of people who are committed to writing down 30 picture book ideas. The list can be a combination of ideas, characters, titles, etc.

      Delete