"Welcome to my blog space. I believe that God has carefully placed gems in our paths to fill our days with joy. The challenge for us is to take the time to notice them. My desire is to share the gems in my life so that, hopefully, you will see the ones He's placed in yours. I hope what you read here will be worth your time and you'll want to return often." - Cathy

Monday, July 3, 2017

Getting Older? Here's the Test




Time Flies
I’ve discovered a sure-fire way to tell if you are getting older: combine three active children, sometimes alone and sometimes together day and night for parts of two weeks and then add in a four-day trip that will require sixteen hours of driving before you’re back home. It’s been a whirlwind but I loved every minute. My children and grandchildren live away from the town I live in so visits are a treasure.

Emma, our 9-year-old granddaughter, arrived first. She stayed with Pawpaw and me so she could attend a two-week long drama/art camp in town. The camp was Monday – Thursday from 9-11 am for drama and from 1-3:30 pm for art. It’s been awhile since I was responsible for getting someone up, dressed, fed and delivered somewhere at a certain time of day. Thankfully, she was good about getting up and getting ready. It was just us the first week.
Emma and McKenna
at the  Park



The next week, McKenna, our 6-year old great granddaughter, decided she wanted to come spend some time at our house. She arrived on Sunday evening. Emma also returned on Sunday evening from spending the weekend at home. The two girls loved being together again and, as a bonus, McKenna got to play with a cousin who was also in town.

Our grandson, Matthew, 9 1/2 years old, came from Charleston on Tuesday to join the festivities. He came so that he could travel with us to Columbus, GA, on Thursday to a reunion of the unit my husband served with in Vietnam. Matthew is a history buff so this trip was right up his alley.

Matthew with his
Black Belt
These three and the two others who didn’t get to come are beautiful, sparkling gems that God has placed in my life. We managed to fit all kinds of activities into these two weeks. Afterwards I wondered when I got so old. In my mind’s eye, I’m still in my twenties with an abundance of energy. In reality, I’m seeking every opportunity to take a nap.

Looking back on those two weeks, I’m glad it all happened. I loved seeing the drama camp play that Emma was in come together as they worked on it day after day. Imagine taking 60 children, most of whom had never acted, and producing a play to present to parents and the public in just eight days, costumes and all. McKenna’s sweetness permeates the house and everyone in it when she’s here. Even gruff old Grandpa is transformed. At six, she has formed definite opinions about life and I learn a lot from her. On one hand, Matthew quietly observes life (you can learn a lot that way) and on the other he is all boy riding four wheelers, climbing trees, shooting his bow and arrow, and learning about guns from Grandpa while sitting under a shade tree.
Four Wheelin'
Today, I am thankful for these precious blessings God has given me in my old age. And I’m thankful that I still have what it takes to keep up with these blessings. What are you thankful for today?

Now, I think it’s naptime!

Cathy

No comments:

Post a Comment